Hi Alex,

Glad to see the mention of SIP Outbound in your updated article. Here's
another 5+5 cents of mine that might help others in the future.

May be you faced it, may be not, but in the multi-homed scenario that you
describe in your article, there may be circumstances under which calls
towards the NAT'ed phone will fail mysteriously. Reason being Firewalls of
some ISPs or Enterprises that do packet inspection will reject such SIP
requests due to presence of private IP addresses in the VIA and
Record-Route headers (those of the SIP farm servers).

The solution to overcome this impediment was quite simple and unexpected
for me - TLS encrypt your SIP traffic, which renders firewall packet
inspection to...  a black hole :)

Same technique bypasses whatever 'smart' ALG Router there might be at
client's premises.

Cheers,
--Sergiu