Hello,

On 2/5/23 12:10, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
[...]
Somehow inspired from Debian, my first idea would be to create a
"x.y-backports" branch, where "x.y" is the branch for the stable release
series. For example, with 5.6 release series built from branch "5.6",
there could be "5.6-backports" branch which is kept in sync in "5.6" but
also can get "selected" new features from devel (master branch) backported.

The "selected" new features should be mostly a matter of the people
willing to put effort in backporting, but I would consider a list
recommendations not to end up with devel and backports branches being
more or less the same. For example, in the "no-backporting" list:

   - no backporting of completely new modules
   - no backporting of significant changes to the config file language
and native scripting interpreter

In the "ok-to-backport":

   - updates to enable use with newer versions of external libraries
   - changes to make some functions/modules to cope better with the core
infrastructure or end points

Commits to the backports branch can be proposed via pull requests.

The backports branch should be done only for latest stable version,
picking from the development version. Right now it would be 5.6, but we
can wait till 5.7 is released and then have it for it.

No packaging and no official releases should be made from backports
branch, only a git branch to be maintained as a community effort. Of
course, if someone wants to put more resources into it, we can discuss
about.

I've no problem to provide the debs without formal releases. It could be
handle as we already do for X.Y branches. A nightly build if changes are
detected.
Anyhow, the first questions would be if such branch sounds good to have
and if there are people that think they can also contribute to maintain it.

It sounds fine to me

|   ,''`.                                             Victor Seva |
|  : :' :                      linuxman...@torreviejawireless.org |
|  `. `'                           PGP Key ID: 0x51A09B18CF5A5068 |
|    `-                                          Debian Developer |