On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 08:23:27PM -0400, Wonho Oh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| I have OpenSSH_2.5.2p2 on my machine A.
| When I connect to a remote machine B,
| and look at the DISPAY variable it is set to A:0.0
| and
| no X application doesn't work.
| After I set manually the variable to B:10.0,
| then I can run X applications.
|
| When I connect to another remote machine C,
| it sets the variable C:10.0
| and X works.
[...]
| How can I fix this so that I can run X applications on B.
| WHat is the mechanism to set the variable DISPLAY?

This is normally a result of busted user login files.
You will probably find that ssh _is_ setting $DISPLAY correctly on machine B,
but that the login process (or another shell startup file) is junking that settng.
For example, does this:

        ssh B 'echo $DISPLAY'

say A:0.0 or B:10.0 ?

Every so often I run across a user whose startup files believe they
"know" the user's display and say something like this:

        DISPLAY=$REMOTEHOST:0
        export DISPLAY
    or
        DISPLAY=`hostname`0
        export DISPLAY

somewhere. Which of course they have no business doing.

It is possible tht the sysadmin of machine B has inserted a similar
foolishness into the global login file (eg in /etc/profile or something).

The above scenario would be my first suspicion.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

That said, I'm inclined to agree that that's not necessarily a good
idea.  I always wanted to write a little program that would pop up a
Mac window to ask ``I'm going to amputate a limb at random from you
now.'' to see how many people would instinctively click "OK".
        - Marc VanHeyningen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>