RedHat uses PAM (then again, so do most Linux implementations).

Did you compile OpenSSH with PAM support?  If so, did you make the proper
entries in /etc/pam.conf or /etc/pam.d/ssh?  Are you getting PAM error
messages when you try to login using a password via SSH? (tail -f
/var/log/messages while you try to login and see what happens)

I believe it's the contrib/ directory in the OpenSSH tarball that has a
sample SSH PAM file.  If you compiled with PAM, you can just copy that file
into the /etc/pam.d file as 'ssh' and you shouldn't have any problems.

-Ray