In regard to: OpenSSH on Tru64 Unix 4.x ?, Frantisek Hanzlik said (at...:

>Please,
>know You anybody about OpenSSH binaries for Digital/Alpha Tru64 Unix v4.x?
>Or about binaries for other SSH v1 or v2 compatible ?

For security-related software, if at all possible it's usually best to
compile it yourself.  Unless you can get binaries from a "reputable source",
there's always the danger that whoever gave you the binaries did something
nasty to them.

You may want to look into the stuff Albert Chin has done at

        http://www.thewrittenword.com.

I would consider that a reputable source.

>I new in Tru64 Unix and when I read installation instructions
>from the OpenSSH Portability Team - there is too many requirements
>for other pieces of software.

Most of the components should compile out of the box on Digital UNIX 4.x.
OpenSSL is probably the scariest to compile, but it compiles pretty easily
too.  Looking at all of the prerequisites makes it look daunting, but if
you take it one step at a time, it's not so bad.

You'll want GNU zlib-1.1.3, available from multiple places.  Compile that
first.  If you don't have any policy yet for where to put locally-installed
software, all I can say is you generally don't want to mix locally installed
software in the same directory as system software.  For example, it would
be best if you didn't install libaries in /usr/lib or /usr/shlib -- put them
some place else.  A common convention is installing local software under
/usr/local or /opt/local .

For simplicity's sake, until you're comfortable with building and installing
local software on Tru64 UNIX, I would recommend that you not build zlib
as a shared library.  That means you should not use the --enable-shared option
when you build zlib.

You may also want to build tcp_wrappers, for use with OpenSSH (and other
stuff).  That doesn't have a configure script, you'll have to edit the
Makefile to set it up, but there is a target (if I remember correctly) for
osf1.  TCP Wrappers isn't required, but it's really useful to have included.

If you can get that far, you probably only *need* OpenSSL next.  If you want
to take the easy way, just run the `Configure' script that comes with it,
and it should choose ok defaults for Tru64.  I sent in a patch against 0.9.6b
to improve the build process on Tru64, but it's not required.  It will build
fine without it.  If you can get that compiled, type

        make report

That will run a whole bunch of tests, and will hopefully tell you at the
end that the tests passed.  If so, go ahead and install it.

>From there, you only need to configure openssh.  Assuming you installed
zlib and tcpwrappers under /usr/local, and OpenSSL was installed under
/usr/local/openssl, you'll want to do something like:

        CPPFLAGS='-I/usr/local/include'
        CFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -O2 -tune host"
        LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib'
        export CPPFLAGS CFLAGS LDFLAGS

(this assumes you're using a Bourne-style shell.  If you're using a C-style
shell, you'll need to set the environment variables using setenv).

Then run configure for openssh something like:

        ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --exec-prefix=/usr/local \
                --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/openssl --with-mantype=man \
                --with-pid-dir=/var/run --with-tcp-wrappers

That should be enough to get it to configure.

There's lots of improvements and optimizations you can choose, but this
is the basic process.

> Or can any advise me with compiling
>the OpenSSH portable package on Tru64 Unix? Must I have
>GNU C compiler or no?

You don't need gcc, the system compiler will work (and will produce a
faster executable).

Try the process I've sketched out, and if you run into problems, send a
short email back to the list, showing the error you're getting.  I or
someone else will probably be able to help you get by the error.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]