Actually, that's what I do to give someone a login, without giving them
shell access. I have a hellosh that just gives them a menu whose only
possible action is to log off. I do this to enable user SSHtunnels.
Assigning them to nobody:nogroup should restrict them sufficiently from your
filesystem. Seriously severe restriction can be done by creative use of
chroot, in login init scripts. Use Quota for disk space restrictions.