At 11:11 AM 5/30/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I think we're talking about very similar designs, if not the same thing.
>Trent

    We're talking about exactly the same thing.  The difference in the two
is that one puts radial compression (through the ring) on the glass, the
other puts axial (end) compression on the glass.  I don't know which one
the glass is better able to withstand, axial loads or radial loads, if
there's a difference at all.  Of course with the small pressures and forces
we're working with I think this is all a great lot of hair splitting.
That's one of the good things about Ga1, it's so forgiving that if you take
care of a few basic details there's very little that won't work.

Cheers,
Harry