Now that we settled depth is at minimum 3' let's discuss digging holes.  I
have dug holes with clam diggers ( a real pain, but ok if digging one or two
holes).  I have rented one and two man post hole diggers.  From my
experience, just pay the extra money and rent the one man post hole digger.
It digs holes faster, easier, and with far less hassle.  Plus you can do it
with one person.  Two man hole diggers can fling two big guys around in
circles faster than you think possible if you hit tree roots or rock. Solid
roots are the worst for throwing macho cheapscats believe me!  But it is
sort of fun if you are young enough to enjoy being thrown about.  If you
have the room it is possible to use a tractor with a post hole drill on the
back end.  Don't argue, don't try to save a few dollars, just rent the one
man post hole digger and dig the holes as deep as needed.  Make it right.
One day with the right equipment and all the holes will be drilled.  Even
half a day if you have all the land cleared and trees are not sending roots
into your drill sites.  Doing it right can save money and frustration.
Steaming & Sparking over Terror Trestle in Eugene, Oregon ~ Gary
http://www.angelfire.com/or/trainguy
http://community.webshots.com/user/raltzenthor