Hi All. At the risk of enraging those who hold strong convictions on the matter of frost heave, I would like to throw out some ideas.
1. I am beginning to understand that what is called "frost heave", is the process whereby freezing soil at the surface of the ground can only expand UP as the water freezes. The freezing soil "grabs" the post and "pulls" it out of WHATEVER is around it below the soil surface.
2. Repeated freeze/thaw cycles of the surface soil "jacks" the post upward.
3. The final thaw at the end of the season results in a contraction of the soil (as the ice melts) which will allow the post to wobble.
4. There is a belief that if you extend the post below the frost depth, the unfrozen soil is stable and will grab the post bottom sufficiently to prevent the surface soil from pulling it upward. This would seem to imply that the gripping force on the portion of the post below the frost line is greater than the gripping force on the post at the freeze/thaw depth.
5. If all the above is true (and I'm just guessing - correct me if I'm wrong), then it would seem that frost heave might be prevented by simply wrapping the upper portion of the post in something slippery (like polyethylene) which would prevent the surface freezing from gripping the post. Which may be why someone's (I can't recall whose system it was) method of using PVC pipe works. The PVC is slippery enough that the ice can't grab ahold of the pipe. (As well as Gordon Watson's method of using steel galvanized pipe).

Just my thoughts.  Any comments/criticism welcome.

royce in SB - where I will NEVER have to deal with frost heave.

Rich wrote:

I do not concur with your analysis. We are discussing a small area post and the placing the base of this post below the "frost line" will have little benefit to stability. As the layout does not cover a large area it would be reasonable to assume that the conditions are homogeneous. The depth of placement will not have any large impact on individual side thrust and thrust from the freeze / thaw cycle will have mostly equal impact on all posts. Posts placed on severly sloped ground will tend to shift due to the movement of the soil with time and depth will not make a lot of difference.

I will not comment on the benefits / disadvantages of placing a post into
concrete.

As an aside. I am living out in the country in very hilly ground that has terrible bearing ratings. It liquifies when wet. And the soil is almost impenetrable when dry. I can look down about a quarter mile of fence from where I am sitting. This fence has been in place for probably 30+ years and is composed of original oak posts, replacement metal T posts and treated replacement wood posts. The fence was built by hand in the late summer. I do know who constructed it. The fence is as straight today as it was when first constructed. The original oak posts are about 2 foot into the ground as the original intent was to rebuild this fence the next spring. The barbed wire is holding it up.

I would suggest placing the posts deep enough into the ground on a gravel bed to provide the lateral support required by the layout design and back filling with dirt. Lateral motion is going to be a larger problem than any frost induced vertical motion or frost induced differential motion.