I have posted some photos of the Lionel stabdard gauge wheels on the
myLargescale site. Please see topic
http://www.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43626

Steve, Duke of Spam


On 12/22/06, Geoff Spenceley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Steve,
>
> I have 4 good quality   unmachined steel  spoked drivers, no voids -
> unfortunately  I suspect they are for   0 scale "Little engine" kits.
> They are 1-1/4' dia and the bore is just under 3/16". If you can use
> them for any of your leaps into the unknown  let me know off list and
> I'll send them to you. I have had them hanging around for years and
> don't know where I got them- I do know they cost me nothing according
> to my extensive ledgers, (backs of magazines and pieces of  unused
> toilet paper!!)
>
> Happy Holidays one and all.
>
> Geoff.
>
>
> >Hello List,
> >
> >Finally got around this week to reworking a pair of Bowser-made zinc
> alloy
> >replacement driving wheels for Lionel standard gauge locomotives. I used
> my
> >Taig lathe to turn the drivers to a G1MRA-specified profile.
> >
> >So far so good. I will post some pix over weekend, I hope, so that you
> can
> >see before and after views.
> >
> >Only potential problem is that the castings have voids. One of the wheels
> >has quite a few voids in the hub and rim/flange area, but fortunately
> these
> >opened up only on the back of the wheel. They make the wheel look like
> it's
> >been worm-eaten. The face of the wheel and tire surface are clean. I will
> >fill the voids with JB Weld epoxy. The voids aren't extensive enough to
> >weaken the wheel much. Might be other voids still under the surface,
> though.
> >
> >The other wheel has several pinhole voids only, mainly on the back. A
> couple
> >on the face of the rim. I will ignore these voids.
> >
> >I got the wheels from Toy Train Parts in Kentucky that supplies Lionel
> >replacement parts. Cost was $25 for a set of 4 drivers, which I thought
> was
> >pretty good. However for an amateur machinist working with a small lathe,
> a
> >lot of machining steps were required. That plus the potential for losing
> a
> >partially-completed wheel to unrepairable casting voids, makes the wheels
> >look like less than a bargain. Additionally the wheels are definitely not
> >scale models.
> >
> >No complaints. I was looking for an inexpensive possibility for a basic
> >gauge one locomotive driver for a simple project I have in the works, and
> >not a scale model. Getting two of these drivers to finish up with the
> same
> >dimensions was a good learning exercise. However if you want to build a
> loco
> >with 6 or 8 or more coupled wheels, then other sources of wheels should
> be
> >investigated.
> >
> >Steve, Duke of Spam
> >-------------- next part --------------
> >An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> >URL:
> >
> http://postfix.45mm.com/pipermail/sslivesteam/attachments/20061222/dc9c1c65/attachment.html
> >_______________________________________________
> >SSLiveSteam mailing list
> >Send messages: [email protected]
> >Cancel subscription: http://postfix.45mm.com/mailman/listinfo/sslivesteam
> >Rules: http://www.45mm.com/sslivesteam_guide.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> SSLiveSteam mailing list
> Send messages: [email protected]
> Cancel subscription: http://postfix.45mm.com/mailman/listinfo/sslivesteam
> Rules: http://www.45mm.com/sslivesteam_guide.html
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
http://postfix.45mm.com/pipermail/sslivesteam/attachments/20061227/e9396b62/attachment.html
_______________________________________________
SSLiveSteam mailing list
Send messages: [email protected]
Cancel subscription: http://postfix.45mm.com/mailman/listinfo/sslivesteam
Rules: http://www.45mm.com/sslivesteam_guide.html

Reply via email to