Hi Pavel,

On 08/24/2015 11:54 AM, Pavel Březina wrote:
On 08/21/2015 07:01 PM, Nikolai Kondrashov wrote:
I might be in a strange and careless mood today, but here is something I
wanted to suggest since the time I saw the amount of logic that goes into
SSSD and is implemented in C.

What if we implement some of the complicated logic inside SSSD in Lua [1]?

can you tell us what features of Lua do you like and might help simplify
SSSD? I don't know the language, just fast scrolled over the manual and seen
few examples. It seems to be similar to javascript.

Most of all, I like its simplicity, then flexibility. And then how easy it is
to embed. The latter comes from simplicity, first of all.

I listed the features I think will help us in the other message in this
thread, but here they are again and then some:

    * exception handling
      (somewhat rudimentary, but workable)
    * automatic memory management
      (incremental mark-and-sweep with good controls, customizable allocator)
    * easier data massaging
      (string operations, built-in (limited) regexes, etc.)
    * brevity
      (implicit dynamic typing, syntax sugar)
    * OOP support
      (there are several libraries to choose from)

I don't know enough JavaScript to really compare, but to me knowing that it
has two pairs of equality operators [1] is quite off-putting.

There is, however, a seemingly good comparison, which should give the general
idea:

    http://stackoverflow.com/a/1022683/1161045

Nick

[1]