On Mon, 31 Aug 2015, Lukas Slebodnik wrote:
On (29/08/15 14:33), Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2015, Petr Cech wrote:
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask you what you think about the initialization of
iterative variables in forloops. I know that present code style does
not
allow it. But how I recognized, we use C99, and this feature is here
now.

(example)
Instead of:|
|||# inti;
# for(i =0;...)|||
we could write:
||# for(inti =0;...)|

I see an advantage in limiting the validity of such variables. That
means
higher code readability. Disadvantages I searched but did not find.
What this misses is a use case of indexed searches where resulting index
value is used beyond the loop itself. By changing context of variable
declaration, you make variable inaccessible outside of the loop.

I would say it's exactly the purpose of this proposal.
To decrease scope of visibility so the index variable with short name
cannot be misused for different purpose.
Huh? There are valid cases where you search for an element and then use
it further in the code. The index is what you get as the result of the
search, not a reference to the element. Sometimes you need an element's
reference but in many cases you need an index.

Yes, I agree. There are different situations.

Reducing scope is fine if you understand the context but claiming
'misuse' is a bit too much here.

+1
I'd suggest adding this syntax recommendation to SSSD C coding style
guidelines but add as well a bit of explanation on these two types of
loop usage patterns.
+1

Petr