Hi,
the data provider code is basically ready for someone to start looking into it. I'm in the process of converting old handlers to the new interface (sudo and hostid is finished) and at this moment I don't plan to do further changes to the dp interface itself unless something shows up during the conversion.

I tried to keep the code separated for the moment so it can be split into more commits to simplify review and current functionality and even some future bisecting is not broken. For this the DP code itself is quite self-contained and changes in the modules are done in separate files (marked as $orig_new.c). The last commit switches the old files for the new ones in the makefile so new code can be compiled, though at this moment is is only for development purpose.

There are too many patches to be sent to the list at this incomplete stage, you can check it out either from my fedorapeople repo [1] or github repo [2], which Pavel forced me to create (meh :-)).

Pavel Reichl is currently working on unit tests -- thank you!

[1] https://fedorapeople.org/cgit/pbrezina/public_git/sssd.git/log/?h=backend
[2] https://github.com/pbrezina/sssd/tree/backend