jhrozek commented on a pull request

"""
On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 11:47:09AM -0700, lslebodn wrote:
> Please provide a test-case (probably a hierarchy of groups)

I was able to reproduce with:
$ ipa group-show group20
  Group name: group20
  GID: 935600011
  Member groups: group10, group11
  Indirect Member users: user1
$ ipa group-show group10
  Group name: group10
  GID: 935600008
  Member users: user1
  Member of groups: group20
$ ipa group-show group11
  Group name: group11
  GID: 935600009
  Member users: user1
  Member of groups: group20

Before the patch, group20 wasn't resolved, after the patch it was.

btw I had this group hierarhcy pre-created on my test IPA server which makes me
wonder a bit how we didn't see this bug before, I'm sure I created it
for some reason. Also I'm surprised a lot none of the downstream tests we
were running caught the bug.

About the discussion I saw on #sssd in backscroll, the rfc2307bis schema
only uses the member attribute because IIRC the RFC doesn't talk about
memberof at all. But in IPA, we know the specifics on the schema, so we
are able to dereference the memberof attribute to get a complete list of
all groups with one call.

"""

See the full comment at
https://github.com/SSSD/sssd/pull/7#issuecomment-243553980