Hi,

On 10/27/2016 04:20 PM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently working on integration tests for the 'files' provider and
during this work I started to feel we are pushing the boundaries around our
test infrastructure already quite a bit. When SSSD talks over network to
a server, then we're more or less okay, but for some parts of SSSD, like
the files provider, we have to mock a lot of pieces and the end result
is that we are testing something that resembles the target system, but
probably has its own bugs. Additionally, we can't run some tests at all
(anything against IPA) and I suspect we'll be running into this sort of
a problem even more in the future.

I agree that we are hitting the limits of current "tier" and we
should start putting together infrastructure for a new one.

So I'm interested in hearing what are other's thoughts on exploring how
to run some of our tests in a privileged environment, either in a VM or
in a container?

IMO we should go for normal VMs. It will be the easiest way
and also most accurately represents the real world scenarios.
I am afraid that if build the test infrastructure with containers
we will drift again too far away from the scenarios we want to
simulate.

Our current tests have the big advantage of being able to provision a
test locally in a screen session, but maybe something similar would be
possible by e.g. running a screen in a container and attaching to its
tty.. And for "simple" tests like LDAP provider we could keep the current
infrastructure around.