On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 09:23:22AM -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> Some thoughts inline:
>
> On 11/22/2016 02:51 AM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:

> > === Implementation details ===
> > A new SSSD responder will be added. Since accessing the Kerberos credentials
> > is quite an infrequent operation, the responder will be socket-activated.
> >
> > This responder would implement the same subset of the KCM protocol the MIT
> > client libraries implement. Contrary to Heimdal's KCM server that just
> > stores the credential caches in memory, the SSSD KCM server would store
> > the ccaches in the secrets database through the sssd-secret's responder
> > [https://jhrozek.fedorapeople.org/sssd/1.14.2/man/sssd-secrets.5.html
> > public REST API].
> >
> > For user credentials the KCM Server would use a secrets responder URI
> > like `/kcm/users/1234/X` where 1234 is the user ID and X is the residual.
> > The client then gets assigned a KRB5CCNAME of KCM:1234:X. Internally in the
> > secrets responder we will store the credential caches under a new base DN
> > `cn=kcm`.
> >
> > The secret responder's quota on secrets must be made modular to allow
> > different number of secrets per base DN (so, different number of secrets
> > and credentials pretty much). What to do in case the quota is reached is
> > debatable - we should probably first remove service (non-TGT) tickets first
> > for valid TGTs and if that's not possible, just fail. A failure in this
> > case would be no different than a failure if a disk is full when trying
> > to store a FILE-based ccache.
> >
> > The KCM responder would renew the user credentials by starting a tevent
> > timer which would then contact the SSSD Data Provider for the given UID
> > and principal, asking for the credentials to be renewed. Another tevent
> > timer would reap and remove a ccache that reaches its lifetime.
> >

> OK, so the service is only semi-socket-activated? If we're keeping tevent
> timers
> around for renewals and reaping, the service won't be exiting unless all
> tickets
> have expired and been reaped.
>
> Would it be possible to look into setting non-persistent systemd timer units
> instead that would "wake up" the sssd_kcm service at appropriate times to do
> renewal and expiration?
>
> systemd provides the CreateTransientUnit() method on its public API that we
> could use for this purpose. If we did it this way, then the service would only
> need to be activated whenever a ticket was actually being retrieved from the
> collection.

All good points, I 'just' need to look into these systemd timers.

> > In the future, SSSD-specific operations such as writing out a FILE-based
> > ccache might be added. The SSSD D-Bus interface would also be extended to
> > publish information about credentials activity (such as - a ticket being
> > acquired, a ticket was renewed etc)
>

> This should be a high priority, since it will benefit tools such as GNOME
> Online
> Accounts greatly (right now, they have to poll the kernel keyring and are not
> happy about it; with FILE and DIR caches, they at least could get
> notifications
> via inotify)

OK, noted.

> > === Configuration changes ===
> > No KCM-specific configuration options will be added. The SSSD KCM responder
> > would use the same common options like other SSSD services such as idle
> > timeout.
> >
> > We can add a configurable KCM socket location later, if needed, but for
> > the start it's fine to default to `/var/run/.heim_org.h5l.kcm-socket`
> > mostly because that's what MIT defaults to as well.
> >
> > '''Q''': Should we add an option to explicitly enable ccache renewals and
> > default to no renewals? I don't think this would any any security though,
> > the attacker can just run 'kinit -R' on behalf of the user anyway.
> >

> If the user asked for a renewable ticket in the first place (and the server
> permitted it), then I don't see any reason not to just go ahead and renew it
> by
> default.
>

> > === How To Test ===
> > In order for the admin to start using the KCM service, the sssd-kcm
> > responder's systemd service must be enabled. Then, libkrb5 must also be
> > configured to use KCM as its default ccache type in `/etc/krb5.conf`
> > {{{
> >     [libdefaults]
> >     default_ccache_name = KCM
> > }}}
> >
> > After that, all common operations like kinit, kdestroy or login through
> > pam_sss should just work and store their credentials in the KCM server.
> >
> > The KCM server must implement access control correctly, so even
> > trying to access other user's KCM credentials by setting KRB5CCNAME to
> > `KCM:1234:RESIDUAL` would not work (except for root).
> >
> > Restarting the KCM server or rebooting the machine must persist the tickets.
> >
> > As far as automatic unit and integration testing is required, we need to
> > make
> > sure that MIT's testsuite passes with Kerberos ccache defaulting to KCM
> > and SSSD KCM deamon running. In the SSSD upstream, we should write
> > integration tests that run a MIT KDC under socket_wrapper to exercise the
> > KCM server.
> >

> How do containers access the KCM? Would they have to run their own copy
> internal
> to the container? Would we bind-mount the /var/run/.heim_org.h5l.kcm-socket
> and
> then work some namespacing magic in the host?

Both cases are valid and depend on what the application in the container
needs. If the container needs its own isolated KCM server, it can do so. If
the ccaches are supposed to be shared between the container and the host,
you can bind-mount the socket from the host.

Or, you can even bind mount a KCM socket from one container to another
and share the credential caches this way.

> You call out in the introduction that this will help address container
> use-cases, but then don't describe that implementation. This seems like an
> important piece of the puzzle that should be added to the page (or made more
> clear, since if it's in there, I can't spot it).

One way KCM helps is that you don't actually /need/ to give the
container access to the KCM socket, unlike the kernel keyring which is
always shared between all containers.

Then there are user namespaces. I'm actually not quite sure myself what
is the state of user namespaces at least as far as Fedora is concerned
(IIRC they were disabled for some time at least in RHEL), but my
understanding is that you can remap a container's root into a
subordinate namespace and thus separate different 'container roots' from
one another.