> On 8 Mar 2018, at 12:13, Fabiano Fidêncio <fiden...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 12:00 PM, Jakub Hrozek <jhro...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On 8 Mar 2018, at 10:33, Fabiano Fidêncio <fiden...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> People,
>>>
>>> I've noticed that I'm getting a little bit lost with github and the
>>> way SSSD has its tags organized there.
>>>
>>> As it may actually affect other people (and in case it does not, let's
>>> just skip the following suggestion) ... I'd like to suggest the
>>> following tags to the project:
>>>
>>> - Accepted: We already have it;
>>>
>>> - Rejected: We already have it.
>>>
>>> - Tests needed: This one can either replace the "Changes Requested"
>>> (in case it's split in a few different tags) or be used together ...
>>> but the idea is to identify that tests are missing from a PR without
>>> going through the whole discussions happening there;
>>
>> What do you propose would be the action after tests needed? Should it be a
>> follow up PR, a ticket for the project, a ticket for downstream..?
>>

> After the "Tests needed" tag is added the developer should either:
> - Write the tests upstream (considering that we have infra for that,
> which is not the case for all the PRs)

Here I’m really worried that unless we have a ticket, this won’t happen. Look
at the “CI” milestone in pagure.. So I would say this case should result in
Changes requested, filing a ticket or asking downstream QE to write a test.

> - Provide a "link" of the related downstream tests that were
> broken/were added passing

This makes sense, although I would argue this should already be default. But if
you don’t think so, we can try the tag and see how it goes.

> So, summing up, no ticket for the project, no ticket downstream ...
> just making clear that the PR is stalled because "Tests are needed".
> Does that make sense?
>
>> My worry about not supplying tests along with PRs is that the tests will
>> never be supplied..at least not in upstream..
>
> I understand why you're worried and I agree with that. See the answer
> above and let me know if it fits your expectations.
>

>>> - Depends on (or something similar): This one can either replace the
>>> "Changes Requested" (in case it's split in a few different tags) or be
>>> used together ... but the idea is to identify that we depend on
>>> somework that still has to be done (either another PR, ticket or
>>> something else that has to be implemented). Mind that I'm not sure
>>> whether we'd be able to simply add a field saying what the PR depends
>>> on …
>>
>> I think this makes sense. At least for a casual observer it would be clear
>> that there is no work needed on this PR.
>>

>>> - Postponed/Deferred: We have something similar for 2.0, but would be
>>> nice to have a way to clearly see in which release we're going to take
>>> a look into a specific PR without having to dig in the discussions.
>>> Here we could also have 1.16.1, 1.16.2, 2.0, …
>>
>> Tags are cheap, we can even have a postponed/$version. I guess even
>> depends/$PR might be OK as long as we only had a handful of dependecies.
>>>
>>> - Reworked: Although just removing the "Changes Requested" label is
>>> fine, maybe having a tag explicitly saying that something was Reworked
>>> would be a clean way to differentiate between new PRs and PRs which
>>> have been through a review already …
>>
>> I don’t know how this tag would be used, could you give me an example,
>> please?
>
> I usually have no idea (just by a quick look on github) whether a PR
> has been re-worked or it's a new PR that's never been reviewed.
> My impression is that having the "Reworked" tag would make simpler for
> people to jump in and do a follow-up review on what has been addressed
> in the first round(s) of review and then give their ACK instead of
> just leaving it for the reviewer. Of course, the same can be achieved
> without that tag ... so, it's just something that looks more
> "organized" to me.

OK, if this is something that was hitting you, maybe the tag might make sense.
But, then do you volunteer to maintain these tags? Because since I didn’t see
this as a problem, I’m afraid at least I wouldn’t maintain the tags.

>>> Does the suggestion make sense? In case we have an agreement about
>>> this topic, may I re-tag our PRs and start using those new tags from
>>> new PRs?
>>
>> Another tag I was thinking of was “passes downstream tests”. With the amount
>> of time our downstream tests take, I’m not even sure how to integrate them
>> with the usual github flow like travis or centos CI use. So I was thinking
>> about a bot that would nightly scan PRs that have neither “pass” or “fail”
>> tag, bundle those up in an RPM, run the nightly tests and report back using
>> a tag.
>
> I really like the idea!
>
> Another tag that may be added is something like "Urgent" for PRs that
> are *really* *needed* for some specific reason (downstream, release,
> etc …)

Umm, fine, but how would others find out the list of urgent PRs? Isn’t it then
easier to drop a mail to the list?