Hi,

I was thinking about $SUBJECT and had a chat with Alexey about backports
recently as well.

Mostly I'm wondering whether it would be better to do either or both of:
     - create separate PRs for backports to sssd-1-16
     - create separate tickets (clones)

With PRs, it's mostly a matter of automatically running CI to avoid
things like https://pagure.io/SSSD/sssd/issue/3986 where I only ran make
and make check during the backport. Of course, we would have to fix our
PR CI first :-)

With tickets, it's mostly about upstream milestones and release notes.
Currently I file all tickets to the "newest" milestone, so currently
2.2. Otherwise, if we filed the ticket into the 'oldest milestone where
the bug is fixed', then when newest the milestone is released, we wouldn't
know exactly which tickets were fixed there. But when the stable release
goes out, we have the same problem, just in reverse. It's slightly better
this way, because the stable release fixes fewer issues, so I just generate
the release notes from the commit messages.

Of course, the downside to both is even more paperwork. With PRs, I
think it's not so bad, we could even have the PR opened and merged by
the same person, just on the grounds of CI passing. But with tickets, it
might get messy..

Thoughts? I would personally be OK with the PRs, but I'm unsure about
the tickets.