I'll throw this out there (there's no doubt a myriad of other, likely more reliable ways to do this).

In Puppet, I'm executing a 'join domain' script unless this condition is true:

  unless  => "/usr/bin/klist -k ${::sssd::keytab} | /bin/grep -q
'host/${::fqdn}@${::sssd::realm_upcase}'"

Check the global keytab file, say /etc/krb5.keytab, to see if "host/yourhost.contoso....@contoso.com" exists. This could depend on how you're joining the domain; "YOURHOST$@CONTOSO.COM" might also be used.

Robert