Ending this one.  On an Ubuntu system /var/run is a link to /run . That
link was missing on my  system.
But WHYYYY  var things go into /var Not the root partition FFS.
' speaking as someone who builds HPC clusters. You might just have an NFS
mounted root partition, which is identical for thousands of compute nodes.
You might liek to have yiur /var as a local tmpfs in RAM, on a local
storage device, or as a uniqeuly named writeable NFS share on the
provisioning node.
Why in the heck assume that VARiable things should go elsewhere than VAR

On 4 July 2018 at 09:17, John Hearns <hear...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> AAARGGGGHHH In the Nae of the Wee Man what posessed Poettering to place a
> strange file name in /lib/systemd/system which stops you grepping in that
> rather vital directory...
>
> Looks like the utmp file should be created by the service
> systemd-update-utmp.service
> Iwill investigate on my system, clearly this is not one for this list,
> sorry
>

> On 4 July 2018 at 09:11, John Hearns <hear...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Sumit.  Rather bizzarely my workstation has no /var/run/utmp file.
>> I rebooted yesterday - you would think a file like that would be created
>> at boot time if it did not exist. Weird!

>>> on my

>>> I would suggest to run the commands with strace to see what the
>>> command tries to do. Iirc the user name is actually read from the utmp
>>> file and SSSD is not called at all here. So the issue might already
>>> happen earlier that the needed entry isn't written to utmp.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> bye,
>>> Sumit

>>> g/archives/list/sssd-users@lists.fedorahosted.org/message/L6