On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 03:21:27PM +0000, Ondrej Valousek wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have noticed that there is a slight difference in host principals when
> joining to AD using "net" command or via "adcli/realm".
> All commands generates the short version (i.e. as per "hostname -s") in
> capital letters in AD, but in local kerberos keytab, the "net" command
> generates all "host/" principals lower case, but "adcli" generates then upper
> case - which renders kerberized access via ssh unusable in case we specify
> hostname without the domain suffix:
> # cat /etc/hostname
> Myshostname
>
> Question, why do you convert the short hostname to uppercase? Why is sshd so
> picky about lower/upper cases for the host principals in Kerberos keytab?

I cannot say why adcli behaves this way. I haven't checked this but
maybe Windows clients use the upper-case version as well when joining?

I guess it is not sshd being picky but libkrb5. Kerberos principal
names are case sensitive according to the related RFCs in libkrb5 is
implemented this way. AD on the other hand treats Kerberos principals
case insensitive.

Have you tried to set 'GSSAPIStrictAcceptorCheck = no' in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config? Its purpose is a bit different but maybe it covers
cases as well.

bye,
Sumit