I am a big fan of

 dns_lookup_realm = true

in /etc/krb5.conf.  Of course, our AD administrators maintain good SRV
records for the various AD controllers -- so there's that.

also they maintain a load-balanced pool per location for those apps that
are not site-aware.  Worst case, I could set my kdc = that.

That LB pool will always been right, as they slip in and out AD controllers.

Spike