We run stock sssd on a number of Ubuntu 18.04 servers, and I have not
seen this problem.  Also, I haven't done anything to the out of box DNS
configuration.  The issue we run in to regularly is that Kerberos
tickets are not renewed and the machine falls out of the domain, but we
now think this might be due to a hostname capitalization problem.