On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 9:58 AM Andreas Hasenack <andr...@canonical.com> wrote:

> Debian and Ubuntu use the upstream systemd service files as is, with
> no changes, and we do see conflicts when services= is used together
> with socket activation.

Perhaps the best conclusion to draw from this is that activating sssd
services via the "services" line should be preferred over socket-based
activation?

The main purpose of socket-based activation is to make it easier to
parallelize the launching of services at boot time:

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/socket-activation.html

But socket-based activation introduces a nontrivial startup time
penalty if the service is not already running when a call against it
is made.  And as you’ve discovered, it can create conflicts if sssd is
also attempting to launch child services via the services= line.

I suspect in most cases, paying these penalties just in order to shave
0.25 seconds off the system boot time isn’t a good trade-off.