On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 5:01 PM Pieter Voet <pieterv...@nl.ibm.com> wrote:

> So, that should be it... I now have to get to the Active Directory
> department on my corporate environment and ask them to set the flag
> for me, because it seems that only Administrator can set the flag (
> if not customized ), even if you ( a non-Administrator account owns
> the machine account...).

My understanding (which could be incorrect, as I am not a Windows
admin) is that this is exactly the point.

The ability to join hosts to the domain is often delegated fairly
loosely.  For example, in our organization, various groups have the
ability to join hosts into specific OUs.  Therefore, just because a
random host is joined to the domain doesn’t necessarily mean that it
should be trusted to receive delegated credentials.

By creating a separate flag to indicate whether a host can be trusted
to receive delegated credentials, and then permitting domain admins to
specify who can set that flag on what OUs, this permits
differentiating hosts that are simply joined to the domain versus
hosts that are joined to the domain and operated by admins who can be
trusted not to exfiltrate credentials delegated to their hosts.

Of course, for our environment, this backfired horribly, as we use
NFSv4 home directories with sec=krb5p everywhere, which means that for
a remote login, you must either delegate a credential or use
keyboard-interactive authentication in order to acquire a new
credential.  When PuTTY was configured to use GSSAPI authentication,
users wouldn’t have access to their NFS home directory after logging
into a Linux host, because PuTTY would refuse to delegate the
credential necessary to access it.

Until we finally figured out that the target host needed to have the
TRUSTED_FOR_DELEGATION flag in order for PuTTY to delegate the damn
credential, our work-around was to tell Windows users to disable
GSSAPI authentication and just use password authentication (plus Duo
MFA) whenever they needed to ssh into a Linux host.  So, effectively,
in order to avoid giving a (potential, hypothetical) rogue admin a
delegated credential, we were forced to give that same rogue admin…
the actual user’s password.  Whee.