I wrote previously:
> PID    TID COMM                TDNAME              KSTACK
> 997 108481 nfsd                nfsd: master        mi_switch sleepq_timedwait
> _sleep nfsv4_lock nfsrvd_dorpc nfssvc_program svc_run_internal svc_run
> nfsrvd_nfsd nfssvc_nfsd sys_nfssvc amd64_syscall fast_syscall_common
> 997 960918 nfsd                nfsd: service       mi_switch sleepq_timedwait
> _sleep nfsv4_lock nfsrv_setclient nfsrvd_exchangeid nfsrvd_dorpc
> nfssvc_program svc_run_internal svc_thread_start fork_exit fork_trampoline
> 997 962232 nfsd                nfsd: service       mi_switch _cv_wait
> txg_wait_synced_impl txg_wait_synced dmu_offset_next zfs_holey
> zfs_freebsd_ioctl vn_generic_copy_file_range vop_stdcopy_file_range
> VOP_COPY_FILE_RANGE vn_copy_file_range nfsrvd_copy_file_range nfsrvd_dorpc
> nfssvc_program svc_run_internal svc_thread_start fork_exit fork_trampoline

I spent some time this evening looking at this last stack trace, and
stumbled across the following comment in
sys/contrib/openzfs/module/zfs/dmu.c:

| /*
|  * Enable/disable forcing txg sync when dirty checking for holes with lseek().
|  * By default this is enabled to ensure accurate hole reporting, it can result
|  * in a significant performance penalty for lseek(SEEK_HOLE) heavy workloads.
|  * Disabling this option will result in holes never being reported in dirty
|  * files which is always safe.
|  */
| int zfs_dmu_offset_next_sync = 1;

I believe this explains why vn_copy_file_range sometimes takes much
longer than a second: our servers often have lots of data waiting to
be written to disk, and if the file being copied was recently modified
(and so is dirty), this might take several seconds.  I've set
vfs.zfs.dmu_offset_next_sync=0 on the server that was hurting the most
and am watching to see if we have more freezes.

If this does the trick, then I can delay deploying a new kernel until
April, after my upcoming vacation.

-GAWollman