On Nov 20, 2007, at 12:38 PM, Rachel Blackman wrote:

I.e., I think this method is kind of a mess, when just adding 'hash' in separately would've solved the backwards compatibility issue nicely. However, that ship has probably sailed, so even just including 'v' will solve the 'users will ask for this' concern I had about displaying version strings. :)

And then new clients would need to respond to both new-style queries and old-style queries, as well as continuing to send ext for backward- compatibility.

I agree that it's unfortunate that old clients will show the hash as the version number. Like stpeter said, though, I'm not convinced that the version number has general-purpose utility.

--
Joe Hildebrand