On 02/17/2014 05:41 PM, Christian Schudt wrote:

Hi,

to:
As SHOULD attribute in the initial session response:
"'to' -- This attribute communicates the identity of the backend server
to which the client is attempting to connect."

from:
"As soon as the connection manager has established a connection to the
server and discovered its identity, it MAY forward the identity to the
client by including a 'from' attribute in a response, either in its
session creation response, or (if it has not received the identity from
the server by that time) in any subsequent response to the client."

> 2) Where's exactly the difference between 'to' and 'from' in the
> session response?

So the 'to' talks about the identity of the backend server, the 'from'
talks about the identity that is discovered. The 'to' SHOULD be included
in the first response (and not thereafter) the 'from' MAY be included in
any response.

> 1) I don't see the relation between the 'to' attribute and the
> "payload agnostic".

If there is an 'identity that is discovered' and what form it has, can
vary from payload to payload. So the 'from' MAY contain a full JID when
you use XMPP with BOSH. The 'to' SHOULD contain a server identity,
whatever payload you use BOSH for.

If I use BOSH for example for an home brew communication protocol, then
I may do whatever I want with the identity that is in the 'from'. That
was one of the use cases for splitting up BOSH to XEP-0124 and XEP-0206.

Winfried