Sounds good to me… except XEP-0045 still uses „MUST NOT“ for groupchat-type in
private occupant-to-occupant messages.
Might be inconsistent wording across the two specs.

Furthermore I can understand the issue raised in your linked post [1]: In
software an empty String and a null reference (here: with regards to <body>)
are often treated similarly (C# even has String.IsNullOrEmpty()), leading to
the issue described (displaying acks wrongly as empty chat messages).
Such an issue can’t be prevented by „not making assumptions about the type“,
when dealing with receipts.

Having that in mind, are there any benefits to send acks as chat-messages (or
to explicitly allow them to be sent by the specification)?

[1]: https://community.igniterealtime.org/message/247333#247333