On 18 October 2016 at 08:11, jorge - w <jwien...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just trying to receive feeback from the community, since i have recently
> joined it.

Sure - and it's appreciated.

> In order to avoid client dependency, any programming should be done at
> server side. I already know anything can be coded with no need for a
> standard, I'm just exposing an idea, not a personal need.

Protocol designs that need no special support from the client are
really powerful - but they also have limitations.

We can encode almost everything as text, but XEP-0050 encodes any
command (or command sequence) as a series of form exchanges. It's not
quite as good, in as much as clients do need support for XEP-0050, but
they don't need any special support for any particular command.

On a similar note, MUC (XEP-0045) encodes everything using existing
exchanges of directed presence and messages. That's served us
incredibly well over the years, but it's also brought us into a
dead-end.

There's a balance to be made here.

But just as we think '45 can be improved, I'm open to the idea of '50
being improved or replaced too - but I'd like to see a concrete
design. Write something more formal, and ideally submit it as a XEP,
and we can compare the options side-by-side much better.