On 08/01/2017 14:59, Sam Whited wrote:
Hi all,

XEP-0053: vCard-Based Avatars [1] is a historical specification that
has been superseded by XEP-0084: User Avatars [2] for quite some time.
However, since it's historical it still shows up in the list on
xmpp.org and this seems like a possible source of confusion to me.

I'd like to propose that we move 0053 to "Obsolete" officially. We
could also mention in 0084 that it may be a good idea to implement it
in a read-only fashion (as Conversations does) for backwards
compatibility, but that new full implementations aren't recommended.

Thoughts?
FWIW, give the remaining widespread deployment of vcard avatars compared to pubsub-based, and of reported lack of interop between 84 implementations (I'm sure I remember being told that some clients aren't sending mandatory formats), it seems premature to me to obsolete these.

/K