On 7 November 2017 at 18:15, Goffi <go...@goffi.org> wrote:
> Le mardi 7 novembre 2017, 13:02:40 CET Dave Cridland a écrit :
>> On 6 November 2017 at 22:58, Goffi <go...@goffi.org> wrote:
>> > As an exemple which could lead to big trouble, imagine a shell@ MUC room
>> > with>
>> > somebody pasting this code to explain something:
>> >         ls `date +%Y-%m-%d`-*.xml
>>
>> We could include an indicator of how to interpret text - basically,
>> Florian Schmaus's recent suggestion tailored to this.
>>
>> Then you end up with:
>>
>> 1) Sender is plaintext -> Receiver does not style.
>> 2) Sender is styled, Receiver cannot style -> Receiver does not style.
>> 3) Sender is styled, Receiver can style -> Receiver styles.
>>
>> (Note in case (1), whether the Receiver can style or not is irrelevant).
>
> Note that an indicator is exactly what is done with XHTML-IM.

Well, no. XHTML-IM sends two message texts in the same message.
Hopefully they might even have the same content.

In email, there's a method for sending "multipart/alternative" which
is used for this, and both spammers and marketeers alike insert
*different* content into each fork, to bypass or confuse
content-checking or to take advantage of rendering quirks of clients.
We've yet to deal with the security implications of that.

I'm thinking more like BMH (but probably constrained to a single format).

Dave.