Hi,

I'm a user of XMPP and have very mixed experiences with different clients.

There are clients that do very well and implement a lot of availabe XEPs, but
other clients only implement a fraction of available XEPs. The XEPs are
optional, if I get it right, but the user experience varies a lot with
dfferent set of XEPs.

I found it difficult to get a list of supported XEPs by client and it is time
consuming to understand what XEPs are for what feature. So a propasal I have
is to do releases (of the standard).

A release contains a set of new (final) XEPs and a list of obsolete XEPs and
all clients and servers that support XMPP version X have to implement this
XEPs.

That would allow users to see, what a client is capable of. That would also
allow client to show a message to there users about the client on the other
end does not support XMPP version X and so there are some features that are
not supported. Or show a message in a client if the server does not support a
current version. This also adds the abbility to generate some easy press
coverage about the state of XMPP.

Cheers,
Gerion