Matthew,

I may be repeating: every efficient sync algorithm needs iterating trough
ids and content separately. Of course we may make sync work without
iterating trough ids, but implementations like that are just terrible, too
complex, too coupled with the rest of design and not optimal.

I agree "back filling" feels wrong for someone and feels right for someone
else so its not an argument for technical discussion. Anyhow, direction of
iteration should be a client choice (server needs to provide both
directions possible).

Please keep in mind multi device scenarios. If one device misses a lot of
messages then back filling "feels" proper way for me - I want new messages
first (live messages also)

I thought the goal of XMPP is to make clients less complex and more
reliable? Why is adding two (basic) features counted as increasing
complexity? I say basic because those features were kind of existent back
in 2005 in xep-0013. Now we removed those features, why?

Thanks