On Mittwoch, 7. März 2018 20:17:24 CET Jonas Wielicki wrote:
> 1. What software has XEP-0048 implemented?

We have support for Private XML (XEP-0049)-based bookmarks in aioxmpp (LGPLv3)
and based on that in JabberCat (GPLv3). We haven’t gotten around to implement
PEP-based bookmarks, even though PEP is generally supported. Lack of proper
server-side support has delayed that.

> 2. Have developers experienced any problems with the protocol as
> defined in XEP-0048?

- The lack of deployment support for private PEP storage is unfortunate. Until
recently, documentation was lacking that one should be supporting XEP-0049
storage at least read-only, too.

- The PEP-based protocol is not ideal. It still stores everything in a single
item, which makes it prone to race condition issues when multiple clients
modify the bookmarks at the same time (which could, e.g., happen while an
invitation is processed). Ideally, PEP storage would use one item per
bookmark.

> 3. Is the text of XEP-0048 clear and unambiguous? Are more examples
> needed? Is the conformance language (MAY/SHOULD/MUST) appropriate?
> Have developers found the text confusing at all? Please describe any
> suggestions you have for improving the text.

We might want to specify how unknown child elements/attributes on bookmark
data shall be treated (discard/keep on update). Some implementations have been
putting extra things there. Maybe the default behaviour follows from RFC 6120
(which would be discard, I think), but I’m not sure.

kind regards,
Jonas