On 4/12/18 5:47 PM, Tedd Sterr wrote:
>> But we might never know if someone is building an application or service
>> on top of a library...
>
> Isn't this the point of the CFE - to find out?
> There is always the **possibility** that somebody somewhere could
> possibly maybe have implemented a given feature, but if nobody knows
> about it, do we just assume it does anyway? In which case, we can always
> assume there are enough implementations because there **might** be.
>
> A CFE asks whether anyone has implemented the feature and what their
> experiences were (was it straightforward, well documented, any issues,
> etc.) While a library implementation could answer /_those_/ questions,
> questions of whether the feature is good in practice or what issues
> arise from its use can only really be answered by somebody using the
> library's implementation of said feature.

Sometimes the library developers know these things because of feature
requests they've received or questions they've answered, so it's worth
asking them. But you can't necessarily find this out first-hand from
those who are using the library. I'm just saying don't discount entirely
the fact that there are multiple library implementations.

Peter