From: Standards <standards-boun...@xmpp.org> On Behalf Of Dave Cridland
Sent: 24 May 2018 16:24
To: XMPP Standards <standards@xmpp.org>
Subject: Re: [Standards] Where a MIX message comes from

On 24 May 2018 at 16:10, Steve Kille <steve.ki...@isode.com
<mailto:steve.ki...@isode.com> > wrote:

Dave notes “Personally, I dislike the messages coming from the MIX channel's
bare jid - that's inconsistent with how presence works (or, indeed, messages
work normally). I'd rather they came from the full proxy jid.”

I agree that there would be an elegance in doing this, and it would avoid need
to encode nick/jid in the message.

You'd still need the nickname and real jid in the message, I think, for all the
same reasons that they're present now.

[Steve Kille]

OK.   My arguments against the change were essentially arising from my initial
thought that you would remove them as the client can work them out.

As well as elegance, an advantage of making the change is that you do not need
to put proxy-jid into the message if you can’t put the real JID there.

I think that we should make this change, unless the presence distribution
discussion leads us to dropping proxy JID from core.

Steve