Daniel,

[Steve Kille]
Thanks 0 this is useful to share.

I can see that most users joining a public channel would want to use the same
Nick for this and for all public interactions.

There is no global registry, where users can register Nicks.   I won't debate
if this is good or bad.   However,  I think it means that channels (or MUC
rooms) need to get users to pick a Nick.    I think it would be helpful for an
XMPP client to make it easy to choose the same Nick for all channels.

We also see environments where service operators want to enforce consistent and
sensible Nicks.

MIX has a concept of Nick Registration (now in MIX-MISC)  which provides a
framework for users to have a single Nick across channels in a single domain.
 This is clearly not a global Nick, but can help deployments where only one or
a small number of MIX domains are used.

Steve