On 17/01/2019 12.43, Dave Cridland wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 at 10:38, Ralph Meijer <ral...@ik.nu <mailto:ral...@ik.nu>> wrote:

    Unfortunately, XEP-0001 seems to require an updated version for moving
    it out of Deferred back to Experimental. I doesn't seem a reasonable
    requirement to need changes to move (indirectly) to Proposed:

    I think this isn't quite right.

XEP-0001 says that a document moves back to Experimental if a new version is published, but implies elsewhere that a document might move there for other reasons, somewhat at the whim of the Editor.

I would argue that there are several reasons why a document might move out of Deferred and back to Experimental.

Our process should always match reality - and if Deferred merely means "forgotten about", or "nobdoy cares", then any clear indication that the community does care should cause it to move out.

I agree that the Editor can still do this, which is why we asked for XEP-0345. But apparently we need to make it clearer/explicit in XEP-0001.

Also, if the document moves out of Deferred to Experimental, without a change, I think tools/deferrals.py requires changes to prevent to move it back to Deferred, if only by adding a new version block.

--
ralphm