Hi everyone,

I am looking for a clarification on XEP-0054. The history description for the
XEP mentions that it essentially encapsulates draft-dawson-vcard-xml-dtd-01
over XMPP, with changes to using xuppercase for elements and adding JABBERID
and DESC. draft-dawson-vcard-xml-dtd-01 also documents private fields [1], with
a basic example:

  <vCard
        VERSION="3.0"
        PRODID="-//HandGen//NONSGML vGen v1.0//EN">
   <fn>Frank Dawson</fn>
   <tel tel.type="WORK MSG">+1-617-693-8728</tel>
   <x-lotus-blood-type>O+</x-lotus-blood-type>
   </vCard>

Unfortunately it forgot to include this in the DTD. This was extended later in
draft 2 [2], and fully defined in the DTD for RFC 2426.

My question is: are implementation of XEP-0054 supposed to a) strictly use the
DTD from XEP-0054, and thus required throw away any extra elements not
mentioned there, b) support private fields since they are mentioned in
draft-dawson-vcard-xml-dtd-01, or c) be liberal and preserve unknown elements?

This appears to be a fairly common question for ejabberd, which allowed unknown
fields up to 16.11, after which it started throwing them away.

Regards,
Wichert.

1: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dawson-vcard-xml-dtd-01#section-4.2
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dawson-vcard-xml-dtd-01#section-4.2>