TL;DR — we should avoid using XEP-0372 until "TODO: define character
appropriately" is removed and resolved.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019, at 10:07, JC Brand wrote:
> Instead, I propose that we use XEP-0372 references to indicate that
> a particular shortname (e.g. :dancingpanda:) should be replaced with
> an image.
>
> For example:
>
>  <message type="chat" from="t...@chat.org" to="m...@chat.org" <body>I
>  feel like dancing! :dancingpanda:</body> <reference
>  xmlnx="urn:xmpp:reference:0" begin="21" end="35" type="data" uri="
>  https://images.com/dancingpanda"/> </message>

We should avoid using references in the wild until a few things are
cleared up. We don't want lots of pre-mature implementations popping up
that aren't compatible with one another.

For example, in the following message:

"> ☃︎ :sadpanda:"

Should the start attribute for ":sadpanda:" be 4 or 5? Unicode snowman
is 2 bytes, after all.

What about:

"🇪🇺 :sadpanda:"

Which may be rendering as an EU flag or as the separate letters 'E', 'U'
depending on your rendering?

The easiest way is to probably just say that the offset is in bytes, but
now what do we do if a buggy or malicious client sends something with
the offset in the middle of the UTF-8 encoding for the snowman emoji?
What about in the middle of the two codepoints that will be combined to
create the EU flag glyph which would still be between valid UTF-8
encodings?

This is not an easy problem, and while I don't want to tackle trying to
solve it in this thread, I think references should be avoided until we
do or we'll never get all the implementations doing one thing later (and
emojis are exactly the kind of feature that will lead to lots of
implementations).

—Sam

--
Sam Whited