On 7 Sep 2019, at 14:03, Andrew Nenakhov <andrew.nenak...@redsolution.com>
wrote:
> Seems like a copy of XEP-0367 Message Attaching. It also shares the same
> problem: no explanation whatsoever on how to fetch these attachments from a
> Message Archive in any efficient way. Ideally, we should retrieve a message
> from an archive with all its attachments. We should also have some kind of
> notification on reconnecting that a previously received message
> received/updated an attachment (or attachments) while we were offline.

Given your message to the other thread, I think we’re fairly well aligned on
what’s needed here. I do believe that as long as we get Fastening going in a
sensible direction, development of the archive access model can happen

> Without some kind of plan to deal with these issues, any discussion about
> attachments will result in half-baked XEP that can only be implemented on
> hardcore 'traditional' clients that enjoy a persistent connection.

We did come up with a plan for this at the summit (or at least an intended
direction). Fastening is the first step of this - subsequent steps are the
archive access. Clients with full knowledge of the archive, or that require
permanent connections, are not the model I’m shooting for, and definitely not
the only one that needs considering.

/K