On 1/29/20 5:33 PM, Jonas Schäfer (XSF Editor) wrote:
> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on
> XEP-0402.
>
> Title: Bookmarks 2 (This Time it's Serious)
> Abstract:
> This specification defines a syntax and storage profile for keeping a
> list of chatroom bookmarks on the server.

> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on
> 2020-02-12.

Besides my feedback regarding arbitrary extensions being added by the
client and/or the server, I believe it is a missed opportunity that this
XEP is MUC specific.

Instead it should be able to also deal with 1:1 chats, MIXes, MucSub,
MUC-light, and all future (group)chat protocols. This also means we no
longer have to discuss if we put MIXes into the roster, instead the
user's server could just inject the joined MIXes into this. The Inbox
XEP would then just provide mechanism to deliver the unread count and
timestamp of unread conversations (potentially linking to the related
bookmark2 node).

So ultimately this should not be Bookmarks 2, but Roster 2, based on
PubSub [1].

- Florian

1: One not-required but missing optional feature to achieve feature
parity with the roster would be a roster versioning equivalent for
PubSub nodes, i.e. NodeVer. But something like that should not be to
hard to specify and is beneficial for other use cases too.