On 01.04.20 08:48, Philipp Hancke wrote:
Am 31.03.20 um 20:35 schrieb Jonas Schäfer (XSF Editor):
The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.

Title: MUC presence versioning
Abstract:
This specification defines a versioning mechanism which reduces the
amount of presence traffic in a XEP-0045 MUC

The Council will decide in the next two weeks whether to accept this
proposal as an official XEP.

While I understand that we all love disco, wouldn't it be easier to only send the ver attribute if one was received from the muc in the past?

IMO you should already be doing disco for a MUC before joining it, so this doesn't add much extra work and it has the advantage of adhering to the prevailing convention.

Or is that to avoid MUC rooms not understanding this feature broadcasting it as part of the presence?
I didn't explicitly think of this, but in general I think it's helpful to have the ability to know beforehand what features a MUC supports.
(a MUC should also remove this attribute before broadcasting since this would otherwise leak a tiny bit of information about the last join)

I'll add this to the security considerations section.

-JC