Hello all,

A XEP-0289 FMUC question, related to section 5.2 (
https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0289.html#messages ).

The example describes how a joining FMUC node (elsinore) sends a message to
the joined FMUC node (rabbithole). Federation is configured to use the
master-slave mode (where rabbithole is the master). This sentence makes me
wonder if I misunderstand a key part of the XEP:

This example is for master-master mode, so rabbithole does not echo the
> message back to elsinore and elsinore does not need to wait for receipt of
> this stanza from rabbithole (...)

As I understand the XEP, the federation is initiated by elisnore. This is
where the configuration lives. No negotiation of the configuration
(specifically, the type of mode that's used) seems to take place. This is
also referenced to in section 5.1:

Note that this configuration only needs to be one way (that is: there is no
> protocol reason why rabbithole needs to know that elsinor will be
> federating with it in advance)

How does rabbithole determine that it needs not echo the message back to
elsinore?

Regards,

  Guus