On 24.05.2020 06:50, Philipp Hörist wrote:
Hi,

The problem is there are no rules what goes into which profile.

If i add a bookmark as a desktop client, i don't know if it should go into the
mobile profile or not.
And btw we try to abstract bookmarks away from the user, so managing profiles
of bookmarks for different devices is exactly not the direction i want to go.

So either this can be determined automatically without user input (i doubt it)
or a simple local autojoin list where the user simply has to manually join
bookmarks is better in my opinion.

Regards
Philipp

Well, one easy to implement and to understand rule would be to, by
default, create a single "default" profile and use that to effectively keep
the current behavior of "everything is synced everywhere", unless the user
configured it otherwise. I see this as an advanced feature and not
something that most users would want to fiddle with (as I said, the
issues mostly grow with the number of MUCs). The state would then be
synced across clients referring to the same profile name.

There is also a niche for client developers who could then use a
test client with a distinct bookmarks profile without the need for a
separate account.

I have had local autojoin lists for a decade in poezio and frankly it
is not a very good solution when not many clients support it, other
clients abstract the bookmark management away from the user, and nothing
is standard. You have the choice between having an unpredictable mix of
remote bookmarks and local autojoins, or entirely disable remote bookmarks
for the sake of sanity, which is not good either.

Cheers,
Mathieu