Hi all,

There was an interesting discussion, alongside a reference to a free book
I'd not come across, in the XSF Chatroom starting here by "pep.":

XSF Discussion - 2021-06-28 (xmpp.org)
<https://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2021-06-28?p=h#2021-06-28-a3970c1480b7787b>

Of particular note here is how we deal with reports concerning members of
the Conduct Team and Board. As noted below, this could benefit from
clarification, but the key points for me are:

   - The Board is subject to the Code of Conduct as leading participants in
   the community, and as noted in Section 4.1, should be held to a
   particularly high standard.
   - Members of the Board can only be removed subject to our bylaws - an
   EGM and 50% vote. Calling an EGM takes 10% of the membership, which is
   currently 5.1 people. Sam's suggestion that the CoC have the ability to
   call an EGM is surprisingly reachable without changing the Bylaws - and the
   moment you involve the Board it should be easy.
   - XSF Members can only be removed with an EGM and 67% of the vote, which
   is somewhat harder to achieve.
   - In both cases, though, a lot of sanctions can still be applied if
   needed.

The book: cocguide.pdf (frameshiftconsulting.com)
<https://files.frameshiftconsulting.com/books/cocguide.pdf>, with intro
here: Code of Conduct book – Frame Shift Consulting
<https://frameshiftconsulting.com/resources/code-of-conduct-book/>

It should be noted that the book doesn't cover our exact situation, because
it assumes that a community always has the power of instant expulsion,
which we do not, as noted above.

The book raises a lot of points, and I'm glad to say many of them I'd come
across elsewhere and incorporated, but a few need to be noted and possibly
incorporated:

   - Every sanction or action gets a report. This report might be
   anonymized. I've not discussed the possibility of anonymizing the report,
   and I think that's going to be sensible in most (perhaps all) cases.
   - The report should always be made available at least to those who
   witnessed and/or were affected by the event. The book discusses a case
   where the target of sexist comments left the community, unaware that the
   person making them had been talked to, understood the effect of their
   comments, and had agreed to stop. I think I had this in an unpublished
   draft, but it's not there now as explicitly.
   - The book recommends that decisions made by the Conduct Team are
   unanimous, and the decision-making process isn't discussed outside of the
   team. I think collective responsibility for these decisions is important,
   but I think this may be one of the cases where we differ - the Conduct Team
   has the power to bounce things up to the Board. But we should probably
   stipulate that these discussions should remain confidential.
   - The book also stipulates that a CoC should include that anyone on the
   Board or Conduct Team recuse themselves from a Conduct discussion if
   they've had the report about them. I didn't stipulate this in the document,
   but only because it didn't occur to me that someone so accused wouldn't do
   so - it makes sense to include this.

The book also covers a lot more than this, and if you're considering being
on the Board or the Conduct Team, I'd highly recommend reading it.

Dave.