Hi all,

I've been toying with an Openfire-based implementation for the Reporting
Account Affiliations plugin. The plugin has not seen much real-world use
yet (it barely has been smoke tested). So far, I've only implemented the
'reporting' functionality (the Info-request query mechanism, and the
embedding things). I have not yet implemented a consumer part (eg: using
account info to do something with regards to permissions). For the curious,
the code is here:
https://github.com/igniterealtime/openfire-accountaff-plugin

When implementing this, I wondered about the following.

Is embedding worth it?

A (considerable) benefit of embedding account info in stanzas is that it
saves round-trips: whenever an entity wants to know the data, it does not
necessarily need to perform a lookup. Are there other benefits that I've
not yet identified?

The round-trip that's saved comes with a caveat: prior to usage, a
recipient MUST perform a disco/info query to the originating domain, to see
if the provided data can be trusted. This can be optimized (through
caching), and the disco/info result can be re-used for all accounts that
originate from the domain - but still, it's not quite round-trip free.

Something about adding data to a stanza that is inherently 'unsafe'
(something that MUST be verified before use) does not sit well with me. It
is invitingly easy for an implementation to skip, or have an issue in that
second step, which would lead to misinterpretation of data that has
potential to be used for authorization purposes.

I expect that the account information data is rarely used - although I'll
readily admit that I've not coded this part yet, and that there might be
future use-cases that I'm not thinking of. Assuming that I'm right, then
the embedding of data on many stanzas can add considerable overhead: not
only in stanza size (which possibly gets persisted in MAM archives - which
leads to interesting questions around the validity of this data over time),
but also to compute the value at the originating server. The XEP addresses
this by providing guides on when to embed data (more on that below), but a
significant amount of overhead remains. Is that worth the savings of a
round-trip (especially when a verification request might be needed anyway)?

The XEP defines three types of stanzas in which to embed account info. I've
found implementing this to be a lot harder than anticipated (which very
well might be a result of Openfire's API). One thing that I struggled with
was to choose when to act on a stanza that was being processed: when
processing inbound, client-originating stanzas, I worry about missing
stanzas that are generated by the server on the user's behalf. When
applying this to outbound stanzas, it's not straight-forward to identify
stanzas that originated from local users - and even if you do, something
like MUC can have modified the addressing, making identifying the correct
local account even harder. The complexity adds up, which leads to
implementations that are more error-prone.

If I understand the XEP correctly, it specifies that a server must remove
account info from client-originating stanzas if the server has support for
embedding account info for that particular type of stanza (to avoid
spoofing). Given the complexity that I tried to describe above, I believe
that this is error-prone. Can we consider mandating that ALL account info
from client-originating stanzas is to be removed, if the server has support
for any kind of account reporting? Is there any reason to clean up this
data in some, but not all client-originating data?

Given all of the above, I'm cautiously arguing that all of the 'embedding'
should be removed from the XEP. I do not believe that its benefit
(preventing a query, sometimes) outweighs the drawbacks (in added
complexity and overhead). Removing it might lead to implementations that
are easier (faster) to build and are less error-prone.

As a last remark: the explicit query for information is made against the
bare JID of the entity for which information is seeked. XMPP dictates that
a server MUST answer such IQ queries on behalf of the user, so this works.
I do not like how this implies that another entity is being asked to
provide data than the entity that we require to provide the data: the XEP
explicitly does not want a client/user to provide this data (that's even
defined as 'spoofing'). It wants a server to provide this data. In this
light, it would be clearer to address the request to the server JID
(without a node-part) instead of an account JID.

I'm running out of coffee, so I'll leave it at this for now. I hope this
will be helpful.

Kind regards,

  Guus