William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

I do believe it does, granted the 1.2.3-rc3 branch would be internally
labeled (version id) 1.2.3, but the branch it sits on and the tarballs
it's packaged in both clearly designate 1.2.3.

they designate 1.2.3-rc3!!!  Only the internal directory path within the
tarball and appropriate header files omit the -rc3 desigation, such that...

This resolves Justin's
concern about rerolling the tarball, and addresses your concern that
like several other Apache packages, you would like to have several
review cycles.

Okay, so just to make sure we're all clear, the process we seem
to be converging on goes like this:

  1.  branch X.Y.Z/ from trunk/
  2.  with N starting at 1, tag the X.Y.Z/ branch X.Y.X-rc-N/ and
      create the corresponding tarball, stdcxx-X.Y.Z-rc-N.tar.gz;
      vote on tarball
  3.1 if the vote passes, rename tarball to stdcxx-X.Y.Z.tar.gz
      and proceed to publish it
  3.2 otherwise, fix problems on the X.Y.Z branch, increment N by
      1 and go to 2

Martin