Farid Zaripov wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Sebor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:24 PM
To: stdcxx-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: svn commit: r577000 - in /incubator/stdcxx/trunk: include/loc/_messages.h src/messages.cpp

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Author: faridz
Date: Tue Sep 18 10:56:44 2007
New Revision: 577000
I'm curious about this change...

[...]
  Without that patch the 22.locale.stdcxx-554.cpp regression test
failed to link on ICC, but succeeded on MSVC.
[...]
  I'm surprised, that ICC does that because that functions
(messages<>::open()
and messages<>::close()) are not invoked in that test, but ICC put them
into
.obj file even in optimized mode (12d).

How about this: I'd like us to outline the functions regardless
of these errors because I believe it's an improvement (I've done
it for most other facets and classes in the library so we have
a good precedent :)

I've outlined them here:

Could you try, as an experiment, to revert the dllexport change
to see if the linker errors go away? The reason for doing that
is that the fewer symbols we export from the library the less
of an ABI footprint we have to worry about maintaining, and the
easier it will be to maintain and test binary compatibility.

Martin